Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ahhh, the joy of sleep!!!

I remember when I was a little girl I hated naps. I was sure that the moment I fell asleep the party began. Face painting, pony rides, popcorn, the works. I still struggle with that at times. What am I going to miss?...I should get this or that finished?...I'll get to sleep right after this show...It's Friday, I can sleep in..It's always the same thing. I get tired and then give myself excuses as to why I CAN"T go to bed early. When this happens (and it often does) I have to remember to tell myself why I need to sleep...

1)I get short tempered-no body wants to get too close...I'm Jekyll and Hyde.

2)Sleep reduces stress.

3) Sleep reduces cravings AND lose weight!

4)Sleep helps memory...hey, has anyone seen my keys?

5) Sleep can help extend life

6)improves concentration...now where was I?

Those are just a few of the reasons BESIDES the fact that it feels wonderful! Why do we fight, avoid or neglect the wonders of sleep. We all have our different reasons but our basic need is the same.

Now many of you are asking yourself...How can I improve my sleep? I have some suggestions but one thing remains...PRIORITIZE.

Suggestion 1
GO to bed the same time every night!!! Make your room quiet (no TV's or work) Make your room dark, cool and quiet.

Suggestion 2
Eat a light dinner. Many of us eat late and heavy. This disturbs sleep AND digestive patterns. Avoid stimulants like caffeine (soda, chocolate, coffee,). Instead of eating before bed make a habit of enjoying a relaxing, soothing cup of chamomile tea.

Suggestion 3
Activities that are appropriate before bed to help prepare the body for a good nights sleep include reading (something mellow), relaxing music and, my personal favorite, writing in my journal. Journalling helps refocus the mind and reflect. I, also, keep a pad of paper by my bed for last minute thoughts, reminders and to-do's.

Interesting fact...Before the light bulb was invented we slept an average of 10 hours per night. Today, almost 2/3 of us get less than the recommended 8 hours of sleep!!! (National Sleep Foundation)

Quote of the day:
Watch your thoughts, they become your words
Watch your words for they become action.
Watch your actions, for they become habit.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

Assignment: Turn everything off...TV, Phone, lights, brain, and enjoy a wonderful nights rest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment