What is miso? It is a fermented soy bean past that is so delicious and good for your health. Many people will have a bowl or cup of miso soup before their meal to help digestion and increase meal nutrition. Below is a list of SOME of the benefits of miso
1. Contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
2. Stimulates the secretion of digestive fluids in the stomach.
3. Restores beneficial probiotics to the intestines.
4. Aids in the digestion and assimilation of other foods in the intestines.
5. Is a good vegetable-quality source of B vitamins (especially B12).
6. Strengthens the quality of blood and lymph fluid.
7. Reduces risk for breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers.
8. Protects against radiation due to dipilocolonic acid, an alkaloid that chelates heavy metals and discharges them from the body.
9. Strengthens the immune system and helps to lower LDL cholesterol.
10. High in antioxidants that protects against free radicals.
(Taken from www.care2.com)
I love having miso when i start to feel like I'm getting sick, when the weather changes or need something quick. At Wal-mart I buy the little bead containers and fill them up with this recipe, then just add water. it's great on the go and you can make it a light broth OR a filling soup.
1 Cup hot but NOT boiling water water
1 TSP white miso
¾ TSP fish sauce
1 clove of grated garlic
¼ TSP tamari
Optional add-ins (in small amounts):
Fresh Ginger juice to taste
Crushed arame (seaweed)
Cooked brown rice
Fresh or frozen peas or carrots
Mix all ingredients together and enjoy.
On the GO:
Combine all ingredients BUT water in a small container. When ready to enjoy add ingredients to a cup of warm water and stir for an instant, nourishing soup
So, there's the Yummy recipe. There are a few ingredients that I was skeptical about eating, like fish sauce, but it makes all the difference in the taste. Trust me I DON'T LIKE FISH FLAVOR.